Essential Policies for the Columbia Community



Disability Services

Disability Services, a department of Columbia Health, coordinates accommodations and supports services for eligible students with disabilities. Disability Services also seeks to facilitate equal access to all programs and activities for individuals with disabilities at Columbia University. Accommodations are adjustments to policy, practice, and procedures that “level the playing field” for students with disabilities as long as such adjustments do not lessen academic or programmatic requirements. Examples include the administration of exams, services such as note taking, sign language interpreters, assistive technology, and coordination of accessible housing needs.

Accommodations and services are determined on a case-by-case basis and are determined according to documented needs as well as the technical and academic standards of the program.

Registration includes submission of both the Application for Accommodations and Services and disability documentation. The application and disability documentation guidelines are available online at and at the Disability Services Office. Students are encouraged to register with Disability Services at the time of their matriculation at Columbia University. Review of requests for accommodation and disability documentation may take two to three weeks to complete. Please note that students need to complete the entire registration process before they can be eligible to receive accommodations.

Columbia considers its faculty and academic program staff to be important partners in the University’s efforts to reasonably accommodate students with disabilities. With this in mind, Columbia has established a network of Disability Services liaisons to facilitate equal access to all University programs for students with disabilities. A full list of the Disability Services liaisons can be found online.

For further information, contact Disability Services: 212-854-2388 (Voice/TTY); 212-854-3448 (fax);; The Morningside campus office is located at Wien Hall, 1st floor, MC 3714, 411 West 116th St., New York, NY 10027. The Medical Center office is located at 105 Bard Hall, 50 Haven Avenue, New York, NY 10032.

Ombuds Office

The Ombuds Office is a neutral and confidential resource for informal conflict resolution, serving the entire Columbia University community—students, faculty, and employees. For further information, email or visit the Ombuds Office website at

The Morningside campus office is located at:

660 Schermerhorn Extension, Mail Code 5558
1200 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027

The Medical Center office is located at:

154 Haven Avenue, Room 412
New York, NY 10032

Transcripts and Certifications

A student's written consent is required for the University to release a student's transcript. Currently enrolled students and former students with access to Student Services Online (SSOL) may order secure electronic or paper transcripts through SSOL. Recent alumni can reset their UNI password for SSOL access by visiting

Former students who do not have access to SSOL may obtain an official transcript of their academic record at Columbia University by writing to:

Morningside: Attention: Transcripts, Registration & Financial Services, Columbia University, 205 Kent Hall, MC 9202, 1140 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027.

Medical Center: Attention: Transcripts, Registration & Financial Services, Columbia University Medical Center, Room 141, Black Building, Unit 45, 650 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032.

Please include the following information with your request: current and former names; personal identification number (PID) if known; Columbia schools attended and dates of attendance; degrees awarded and dates awarded; number of transcripts desired and complete address for each; your current address and telephone number; and your signature authorizing the release of your transcript.

There is no per-transcript issuance charge; students are charged a one-time transcript fee upon their first registration at the University. Please allow several days for delivery to and from the University if you mail your request.

Currently enrolled students may order certifications of their enrollment and degrees online via SSOL ( or in-person at the locations listed above. There is no charge for certifications.

The Registrar's Office no longer handles requests for degree verification by third parties. These requests should be made via mail, phone, or email to: National Student Clearinghouse, 13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300. Herndon, VA 20171; 703-742-4200;