- Student Email Communication Policy
- Information Technology Policies
- Social Security Number Reporting
- Policy on Access to Student Records (FERPA)
- University Regulations (Including Rules of Conduct)
- International Travel Planning Policy
- Policies on Alcohol and Drugs
- Policies and Procedures on Discrimination and Harassment
- Gender-Based Misconduct Policies for Students
- Protection of Minors
- University Event Policies
- Policy on Partisan Political Activity
- Campus Safety and Security
- Crime Definitions in Accordance with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reporting Program
- Use of Hoverboards on University Campus and Property
- Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems on University Campus and Property
- Voluntary Leave of Absence Policy
- Involuntary Leave of Absence Policy
- Military Leave of Absence Policy
- Central Administration of the University’s Academic Programs
- Non-Retaliation Policy
- Essential Resources
- Student Consumer Information
- Additional Policy Sources
Essential Policies for the Columbia Community
This website contains valuable information to help students, faculty, and staff understand some of the policies and regulations of the University. Policies on this website pertain to campus safety (including harassment and discrimination), the confidentiality of student records, drug and alcohol use, student leaves, and political activity, as well as others.
Who Is Governed by These Policies? All students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and visitors to Columbia University.
Who Should Know These Policies? All students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and visitors to the University.
This is a useful reference to several important policies Columbia University maintains, but it is not exhaustive.
This policy online reference is intended to provide information for the guidance of the Columbia community. The editors have exercised their best efforts to ensure the accuracy of the information contained herein, but accuracy cannot be absolutely guaranteed. If you have any questions regarding these policies, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information presented here is subject to change, and the University reserves the right to depart without notice from any policy or procedure referred to in this online reference. These Essential Policies are not intended to and should not be regarded as a contract between the University and any student or other person.
Copyright © 2016 The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York
To download a PDF of Essential Policies, click here.
About this site
This website is intended only to provide information for the guidance of the Columbia community. Accuracy of content cannot be absolutely guaranteed. Anyone who needs to rely on any particular policy is advised to verify it independently. Information presented here is subject to change, and the University reserves the right to depart without notice from any policy or procedure referred to on this website. The policies on this website should not be regarded as a contract between the University and any student or other person.
This website is maintained by the division of Student and Administrative Services. Should you have any questions or comments about Essential Policies or about the site in general, please contact us.